Senior MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?
Re: The most annoying new fad in photography
In reply to tarakanchik, 6 months ago

tarakanchik wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Mark Smith wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I guess I'm lucky so see beauty in most things around me even faces of people i don't know can have a serene beauty.

Thanks for polluting Internet again.

The internet is an electronic system, you are free not to come here. Also you're free not to participate in threads about your favourite cameras and gear.

Time to grow up!

On one hand, as I don't know the young lady in the photo here, it doesn't do a lot for me. On the other hand, if I think back over all the photos I've taken, and those taken by others which I've enjoyed viewing and found memorable, probably 95% of them are shots of people which do affect me or connect to my soul. No photo of a bug, sunset, seashore or flower can do that for me.

And that's fine, Midwest, as photography is purely subjective and thus, different-strokes-for-different-folks approach is perfectly suitable here. For me, it's completely opposite - pictures of people I don't know with nothing else captivating in the shot do very little for me, regardless of how well they're executed. I don't find any emotional connection with them and, frankly, don't usually care for the story behind them. A beautiful sunset, on the other hand, captivates me greatly, even if I've seen a thousand of them. It's just that I find greater connection with, or draw more enjoyment out of, nature. The great thing here is that we're both right! It's simply a matter of personal taste and I can promise the proverbial 'you' that there's literally nothing that can be said to convince me otherwise (in fact, it's like telling me something that I've tried many times and didn't like tastes good); and I'm sure the opposite is true. Does that make me a bad person? I certainly don't think so. Some people like pictures of nature, others like pictures of people, (and yet other people enjoying filming themselves opening boxes :\) it's as simple as that. Not really sure why either side is trying to convince the other that they're wrong or why there's even such an argument to begin with.

I will say, however, and lastly, that I found the recent DPR post of a Russian lady taking pictures of her kids quite interesting. But I think it's because most shots were taken outside in a nice natural setting and pleasing light.

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

These pictures had context and a story, not just the stupid half-blurred unfamiliar faces (or parts of faces).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WhyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow