Started Mar 17, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Rick V
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, Mar 19, 2014

Hi all,

Reading this thread with GREAT interest!

Getting the A7 this weekend, currently using the NEX6, that my son will take over. Months ago, I made myself start shooting in RAW+jpeg, so (I thought) I would be using RAW more to tweak my images. But, I find myself just being too lazy and really just downloading the jpeg files from my card for my use. I have LR5 and Kelby’s LR5 book….but I pick it up, read some, then put it down…forgetting after awhile what I’ve read!! I still tweak my jpegs some, mainly if the exposure is off. But then over and over again I tell myself, “ If I’m still tweaking a file, USE THE D**N RAW FILE!!”

I really, really want to take advantage of the A7 RAW files if I can. I need to force myself to do it. So a couple of post processing “newbie” type questions.

1) When you all say you are using a certain “RAW Converter Program for conversion”, is it for ALL/COMPLETE workflow from start to finish? I just need to pick one and learn it as best I can?

OR

2) Do you use one program to convert the RAW image to DNG/TIFF/JPEG, then take that image, and apply changes toward a finished photo in another program? And if this is the workflow, do you make ANY CHANGES in the RAW file at all before initially converting to DNG/TIFF/JPEG?

OR

3) Is it a mix of #2) >>>For example……Take a RAW file into DXO/Photo Ninja, make no other changes other than say, Noise Reduction, then export as a DNG etc.., pull that DNG into LR and apply color correction, sharpening, any “artistic” features one would like etc..> and then export a final jpeg photo to print or post online?

Any guidance to help a struggling brother out and get me to see the light would be greatly appreciated!:-D

Thanks,

Rick

Rick V's gear list:Rick V's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow