Developing α7 RAW images

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick V
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 9 months ago

Hi all,

Reading this thread with GREAT interest!

Getting the A7 this weekend, currently using the NEX6, that my son will take over. Months ago, I made myself start shooting in RAW+jpeg, so (I thought) I would be using RAW more to tweak my images. But, I find myself just being too lazy and really just downloading the jpeg files from my card for my use. I have LR5 and Kelby’s LR5 book….but I pick it up, read some, then put it down…forgetting after awhile what I’ve read!! I still tweak my jpegs some, mainly if the exposure is off. But then over and over again I tell myself, “ If I’m still tweaking a file, USE THE D**N RAW FILE!!”

I really, really want to take advantage of the A7 RAW files if I can. I need to force myself to do it. So a couple of post processing “newbie” type questions.

1) When you all say you are using a certain “RAW Converter Program for conversion”, is it for ALL/COMPLETE workflow from start to finish? I just need to pick one and learn it as best I can?

OR

2) Do you use one program to convert the RAW image to DNG/TIFF/JPEG, then take that image, and apply changes toward a finished photo in another program? And if this is the workflow, do you make ANY CHANGES in the RAW file at all before initially converting to DNG/TIFF/JPEG?

OR

3) Is it a mix of #2) >>>For example……Take a RAW file into DXO/Photo Ninja, make no other changes other than say, Noise Reduction, then export as a DNG etc.., pull that DNG into LR and apply color correction, sharpening, any “artistic” features one would like etc..> and then export a final jpeg photo to print or post online?

Any guidance to help a struggling brother out and get me to see the light would be greatly appreciated!:-D

Thanks,

Rick

Rick V's gear list:Rick V's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow