Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Re: Hard to believe - but 28mm f2.8 and 28mm f3.5 Nikon primes beaten by A7 kit lens
In reply to Mel Snyder, 9 months ago

My bet is that adapter registration distance is off.

Mel Snyder wrote:

When I had difficulty focusing my 35mm Summilux closer than 3 feet this morning, I decided to try two Nikon MF primes - a 28mm f2.8 Ai and a 28mm f3.5 Ai - both inherited from my late father, an photographer for Bethlehem Steel. Both focus very close - and a few years back, I'd shot the f2.8 on a Nikon FM, and it worked really well.

But when I tested both today on my A7, both were soft on the sides and corners - even at f5.6 and 8. They were very distortion free.But useless for landscapes

And so, for comparison, I shot the same scene with my kit zoom at 28mm f3.5. No comparison - the kit was sharp side to side, a tiny bit of corner softness. Even with LR 5.3, there was a quite a bit of vertical distortion beyond the lens correction profile. But the kit was sharper, more contrasty, more colorful. And a simple slider fixed it.

Anyone interested I can upload examples. But the first time some revered old primes tested so badly compared to a lowly kit zoom.

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow