What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,277
Like?
Re: What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

I wonder why Samyang decided to release a 16mm lens for APSc. That differential from kit (or some very nice zooms that start at 16mm or 17mm) is more open to question.

The 16mm is an F2.0 lens a whole stop and more faster than any zoom that covers 16mm or close... excluding the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8

No doubt about it, MM - the 16mm is unique, and will be especially attractive for shooters in the other mounts that don't have decent quality around the 24mm FF field of view. Pentax has the 15mm - which is a fine, but not fast, lens for the money. On the other hand, regarding the f/2, how much speed do you need in an UWA given the low light capabilities of current sensors?

Personally i want to play with a 14mm F1.4 on FF really i see a use for it, for very wide field shallow DOF type photography

If you buy a Sony Nex-3n for $299 and then buy a $120 focal reducer to use with the Samyang 14mm f2.8, that would net you a 10mm f2 in APS-C, FOV and DOF, terms, I think.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow