What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755Gear list
Like?
Re: What advantage does the Rokinon 14mm have over the kit lens?
In reply to MightyMike, 6 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

JNR wrote:

I wonder why Samyang decided to release a 16mm lens for APSc. That differential from kit (or some very nice zooms that start at 16mm or 17mm) is more open to question.

The 16mm is an F2.0 lens a whole stop and more faster than any zoom that covers 16mm or close... excluding the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8

No doubt about it, MM - the 16mm is unique, and will be especially attractive for shooters in the other mounts that don't have decent quality around the 24mm FF field of view. Pentax has the 15mm - which is a fine, but not fast, lens for the money. On the other hand, regarding the f/2, how much speed do you need in an UWA given the low light capabilities of current sensors?

And, as long as Samyang had decided that the company was going to offer a 10mm lens - it just seems to me that should have been more of a priority than getting the 16mm out first.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow