Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Primeshooter, dig: ProPhotoRGB + linear capture profile
In reply to Luke Kaven, 7 months ago

Luke Kaven wrote:

j_photo wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

j_photo wrote:

This has been a very interesting thread so far. A bit over my head at times, but worthwhile to follow.

I'm not sure I have the patience for some of the levels of technical detail that others are willing to address. I'm a technical guy by profession, but I think I approach photography as my escape from some of that.

Totally hear you on that. It should be an art form with a certain level of technical precision, which varies from individual to individual. I'm definately into squeezing everything out of the sensor within reason and this seems fairly easy to do. It's like...you'd properly focus your images wouldn't you? I know thats a bit of a straw man argument but I guess i'm into exploiting the D800 as best as possible now I've owned it for a long time.

I'm glad you and others are out there taking these sorts of things as far as possible. I admire it. No criticism intended or implied.

I'm really just speaking for myself and where I find I like to apply my energies, such as they are. I have come to recognize that I am frequently comfortable giving up a some degree of perfection in image quality in exchange for a more personally comfortable approach to my shooting. I'm not saying that's better or worse, just where I seem to find the most satisfaction in my own work.

Regarding shooting with UNI-WB, I can appreciate the benefit, but I prefer to review an image on the back of the camera in Standard or Neutral profile. It's not that I don't care about proper exposure. As I mentioned earlier, when I know blowing one channel significantly ahead of the others may be a concern, I keep an eye on that channel.

If you use the Neutral profile, you're 90% of the way there.

You know, I've been shooting mostly Standard. I'll give Neurtral a try for a while and see how that goes. Thanks.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow