D800 totally cooking reds

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 12,027
Like?
Re: Primeshooter, dig: ProPhotoRGB + linear capture profile
In reply to j_photo, 9 months ago

j_photo wrote:

This has been a very interesting thread so far. A bit over my head at times, but worthwhile to follow.

I'm not sure I have the patience for some of the levels of technical detail that others are willing to address. I'm a technical guy by profession, but I think I approach photography as my escape from some of that.

Ansel Adams was a highly technical photographer to the point that he invented a system for match tonal range in a scene with specific exposure and developer times.

Man Ray cared very little about the technical area. When presented with highly detailed landscapes by his students he would say something like, "Leica should get an A+ for this photograph."

Both brought their artistic aesthetic to their work, and that is what made them each great photographers.

Find the balance that allows you to express what you want. Adams needed the control of the Zone System to express what he wanted. Man Ray had an aesthetic that was far less dependent on technical control.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow