A7 Firmware 1.02 image quality difference - am I dreaming?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
A7 Firmware 1.02 image quality difference - am I dreaming?
5 months ago

I was hoping to find some post from one of you with some samples but I couldn't find any.

What I see is that the noise reduction engine seems a bit milder and retains a bit more detail. But I could be imagining it (which would still be ok, as long as I believe it's improved ).

All I can say is that before the update some images looked like a microscope with a sample of rod-like bacteria. Now it looks the same, but the density of the rod-like pattern seems less dense.

This is more or less all I can tell (I'm talking about ISO 6400). I would be happy if anyone could give me some more insights and thoughts about what you see in terms of "improved image quality".

For the rest yes, the start-up speed is ridiculously much faster, now I can turn on the camera and bring it to my eye and be sure it'll be ready to shoot consistently, instead of having to turn it on and then wait like an idiot behind the EVF up to several seconds at times while the action was coming to an end before I had the chance to press the shutter.

As for AF, I didn't notice anything, it was ok before, it's still ok now (precise, moderatly fast in bad light and fast in good light).

Now if this update only could fix the lenses rocking from 3 to 9 o'clock I'd be the happiest man on earth

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow