Sharing travel photography original full size files with travel companions, yes or no?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,063Gear list
Like?
Value of friendship vs. value of photos
In reply to kayone, 7 months ago

kayone wrote:

What's everyone's elses take on this? Is it being ungenerous, withholding or reasonable to not want to freely give all your original full res travel photos to someone else just because they travelled with you.

It's an unusual request, one that I've not heard of before, but IMHO:

1. Did you know about this before you traveled with them, i.e. are you breaking your (explicit or implied) word?
  2. Do you want to travel with them again?
  3. Do you feel you got substantial extra value traveling with them, i.e. they took you places you would not go yourself or pointed out photo opportunities you would have missed on your own?
  4. Do you have a likely commercial or competitive interest in these photos such that if someone else publicly displays them (or even sells them), it will diminish your ability to use them?

If the answer to any of the first three is "yes" and the last one is "no", then why not?

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow