Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wilki
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
E-M1, C-AF and Sports photography
9 months ago

One of the drawbacks with getting an E-M1 before Christmas was the lack of opportunities to really give C-AF a work out until the winter cleared.

Spring has finally sprung in the UK and this weekend I got the chance to shoot some moto-X.

I have been to this event twice in the past with different Oly cameras. The results with the E-30 were ok, the results using C-AF on the E-M5 were awful.

So I was keen to see if the promised improvements with the E-M! materialised.

I was blown away. For many of the photos the riders were appearing the viewfinder at speed from out of view. The focus lock was almost instantaneous and very very few shots were discarded due to focus issues (technique was another matter!)

The settings I found worked best were:

C-AF, Either small focus box or 9x grid, face detection off (MASSIVE difference in focus hits), release lag time set to short (again, BIG difference in hit rate when shooting bursts). I found no difference in any of the settings that lock C-AF whatsoever.

Lenses used were 12-40 2.8, mark 1 75-300 and 75mm 1.8.

A few samples attached. They show the way the light varied through the day, the different shooting angles that still gave decent focus, the fact that m4/3 CAN give background separation and that I even managed to develop an ok panning technique !

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow