EM-1 fault with AF points

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,226Gear list
Like?
Interesting
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 8 months ago

I shot a soccer awards night last week. Players stood with their trophies in front of a club background — and my E-M1 and 12-40 performed almost flawlessly, in fairly dim light. My main light source was a radio-slaved FL-50R in an umbrella… but focus had to be attained before that.

Face detect was likely a real help. In know my former E-5 and 14-54 MkI would have been sucking a  lung to deal with PDAF in those conditions. (FD only available on the E-5's clunky Live view.)

Half-press AF was used, as per my normal practice. All focus points activated.

A few times, I caught the camera not attaining focus, so I backed off and re-pressed the shutter. There were two shots that I didn't catch till post processing. Thankfully, I also got some keepers of the same pose.

Both of the bad shots were totally OOF, like a scene through frosted glass. There was nothing in the shot that could be seen as the unintended focus point. The only choices for the camera were: people... or the background, which was less than a step behind them. It couldn't be motion blur, either, as the main light source was flash and the shots were well-exposed.

I meant to keep copies of them for later study… but I see now that I've cleaned my card off and I chucked the other copies in the editing process. I'll be keeping my eye on this, though...

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow