Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
LeeStG
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Backpacks and security
9 months ago

I'd put this in the accessories forum but I don't think it will get as many answers.

I fear, due to lower back issues, that anything other than a backpack will prove to be a strain on me for walking around, day to day, with some camera gear. For work, weddings, events, I just have to suck it up and that's fine. I deal with it. Rolling carts, etc. However, for walk around stuff, going for walks and doing either landscape stuff or street type photography........other issues come into play. Namely comfort number one and security number 2.

I would really love to hear from other women on this topic as I suspect men have a little better time with this. I think a potential trouble maker would probably target a woman with a backpack vs a 6 ft tall man. Yes, high crime areas are a danger for anyone and I also get that awareness and using common sense in these areas is the more important thing to concentrate on. I'm really just talking about walking around by yourself in semi ordinary locations. A backpack would probably feel best given my lower back issues but I don't think I could ever completely relax knowing my gear is basically behind me and unless I constantly turn around, I don't know who is coming up from behind, etc.

I should note that I can't stand those humongous backpacks that stick out a mile. I'm not overly tall and I don't bring an entire collection of cameras, lenses, tripods etc. Maybe a full frame and a lens. I like to travel light but even a messenger bag or cross body seems to put the bulk of the weight around my middle, in the front or to the side,  and that strains my lower back.  The weight behind me feels better for my back but, again, I feel very vulnerable that way.

I only know of one backpack that zippers close to the body as opposed to on the outside where a potential thief could access it. Are there any others? How do other women deal with this? I'm not a wimpy girly girl but the fact is a thief or anyone up to no good will most likely think a 5'5" female is a good target vs a tall male. I want to spare myself the lower back agony (my goal is to shoot and enjoy it) and not trade it for the feeling that I'm wearing a sign that says "my gear is behind me and I can't see you."

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow