Lost trying to find the right camera for low light, fast subjects...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ElessarJD
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Lost trying to find the right camera for low light, fast subjects...
9 months ago

Hello All.

I currently have a Sony RX100, but taking pics of my 2 year old in low light conditions is proving to be a bit too much for it. I really like the convenience of a compact camera's size and auto lens cover, but wanted better performance. I found that you can get an auto lens cover add-on for the Olympus EZ mount systems, so I started looking at the new OMD EM10 and Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8 lens. I was set to buy it then I read the following in a review about AF...

"Just about the only thing we don't like about the E-M10 is that its AF system isn't fast enough for shooting low-light gigs and fairgrounds. That's not an issue exclusive to the E-M10, it's an issue for all CSCs that we've tested to date and it's something that SLRs take the lead on."

Obviously this would be a problem for taking pics indoors of a fast moving subject. It's my understanding that the EM10 uses contrast detection AF. I found that the EM1 uses phase detection AF, but it depends on what lens you use. This stuff can be so confusing.

So my question is should I consider the extra expense to get an EM1 or try an EM10 and hope it works? Thing is, I'm not even sure if the EM1's AF would perform well with the Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8 lens.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow