ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pixelfusion
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Back-Focusing on D7000
9 months ago

Hi All,

After seeing a few soft pictures from my D7000, I suspect the camera I have suffers from back-focusing (or soft focus issues).

To test it out, I setup a simple experiment - I shot the tip of a leaf with AF Fine Tune Values varying from +20 to -20 and AF Fine Tune Set to 0 (zero), OFF and a shot with Live View as well. Note that the plant in question (and the setup) was indoors and did not have any influence of wind/stray movements that may have altered the final result.

The camera was on a tripod and was set to a timer of 2s after shutter press - that way I am eliminating any vibrations during the shutter press.

I have posted the pics below - each with the description of the AF Fine Tune status at the time of the shot.

Settings common to all shots below:

• Lens: AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
  • Distance from the leaf tip: ~ 4ft
  • Flash: OFF
  • ISO: 400
  • Aperture: f/1.8
  • Shutter: 1/500s
  • Metering: Matrix
  • Focus Mode: AF-S
  • Crop: 100%

I personally feel that the best shot is the one taken with AF FT Set to -20. My eyes may be deceiving me and hence, need your opinions. I have the full range of shots from +20 to -20 and will be glad to share any other intermediate AF FT value that I may not have posted above.

I am seeing soft shots on my 70-300 VR as well as the 18-105 VR lenses too. I havent had the opportunity to do a test similar to the one above with those lenses.

Please advise whether

1. I need to take the camera to Nikon Service to get the Focus Corrected? 
  2. I can continue shooting @ AF Fine Tune Set to -20 for this lens.
  3. Anything else that can make things clear - whether this is a Camera AF issue or something else I may be missing??!?

Cheers and Thanks !!

-Vishi

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow