Camera industry in crisis? Thought provoking article.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jrkliny
Senior MemberPosts: 2,698Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera industry in crisis? Thought provoking article.
In reply to peevee1, 6 months ago

peevee1 wrote:.........................

But no worries, I am sure somebody in China right now is hard at work copying all that stuff.

Cannon Revel anyone?

I think it is only a matter of time before the Chinese seriously enter the camera market.  Lots and lots of photography accessories are already made in China.  In many cases the quality is equal to the Japanese products and the prices are very much lower.  If camera technology progresses rapidly, it will be tough for the Chinese to enter the market.  Making a copy of existing technology will always leave them well behind.  If, however, camera technology is reaching a plateau, then I think the Chinese will be able to compete.

For the past couple of years I have seen many comments supporting the Japanese manufacturers.  For example, many supporters seem to think Canon has made a wise business decision in milking existing technology.  IMO, doing things like using the same APS-C sensor for 5 years is tempting fate.  Having fewer of us upgrade and losing some sales to the competition is only a minor risk.  If the Chinese start making DSLR cameras, well, game over.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow