75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,464Gear list
Like?
Re: 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 4 months ago

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

I have the GX7, and yes I know it depends on what you like to shoot ... but I'd like to hear from people who own one or both...

None of them sorry, but...

which one do you prefer and why?

...I guess what's more important is what use are you going to give them and here's some more food for thought (which I believe no one has yet mentioned) even though I haven't read all the replies:

1 - If you value video (and since you own a Panasonic body, there's a chance you do) you'll be much better served with the lens stabilized zoom. Handheld video demands in-lens IS.

2 - Probably you won't need weather sealing but that's an extra going for the zoom.

3 - The GX7 features IBIS and state of the art manual focus aids, so why not get a less expensive fast legacy/MF tele to cover your thin DOF/low light needs? I own an amazing Konica Hexanon 57mm F1.2 (which costed me around 200$) and I doubt the 75mm Oly could offer me more apart form AF. I'm sure there are cheap alternatives too, like the Minolta Rokkor 58mm F1.4, the Minolta 85mm F1.7 the Minolta 85mm F2 or the Konica Hexanon 85mm F1.8 (I also own this latest one and can recommend it).

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow