Help on Kit Choice for Alaska/Canada - Your advice please.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
raymondg
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Help on Kit Choice for Alaska/Canada - Your advice please.
5 months ago

I embarking on a trip to Alaska cruising the inside passage for Vancouver to Seward and then a train trip from Vancouver to Calgary.

My normal travel kit consists of my D700, 24-120f4 and either 14-24f2.8 or 17-35f2.8 which has proven effective in Europe and New Zealand. I have never felt that I needed more at the long end. I try to keep weight down as I do a lot of walking and this kit is around 2.5kg

However, Alaska seems to be different with less buildings and more landscape/wildlife. Therefore I assume I will need a reasonable telephoto. I am also wondering id taking the D800E instead of the D700 would be advisable. Your learned advice on tele and camera choices would be appreciated along with any other suggestions..

While I have both the 70-200VR1 and the 80-400VR1 both of these are heavy. I am thinking that the 70-200f4 may be a good addition as it is light and good IQ. While the 70-300VR is cheaper the IQ after 200 is not great. The 28-300 is in a similar situation. I am however concerned that 200mm may not be enough. I am not expecting to take extraordinary wildlife pics but would like to get something representative of the area/fauna.

I also have some wide primes but there seems very little gain in terms of weight for substituting one of these for a wide zoom.

Thank you in advance

======================

Warmest Regards - Ray

http://www.pbase.com/raymondg/galleries
http://www.500px.com/raymondg

raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow