Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,195Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 56mm ???
In reply to hellocrowley, 4 months ago

hellocrowley wrote:

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

I haven't handled the EF 56 yet. Is it anything like my Canon 85L where you are moving a lot of glass resulting in slower AF speeds?

As for low light misfocus, I would start by looking at the camera's low light capabilities and factor in shallower DOF than other lens you might try in lower light. On my 5D2, the 85L sucked in low light. On my 5D3, the same lens became a low light monster. I'm hoping Fuji significantly improves AF with their next major sensor generation.

You can't compare it to a f/1.2 FF lens. It's a lot bigger, has thinner DOF, etc.. My 85/1.8 is very quick in low to good light. If the 56 can match the AF speed of my $300 lens I'll be happy with it.

Btw, the phoblographer is not a very credible source, the Nocticron 45/1.2 has already tested sharper, that's not even counting the much sharper Oly 45/1.8 and 75/1.8. So yeah 'sharpest lens for mirrorless cameras' it is not.

If the 56/1.2 is Fuji's answer to the Canon 85L, it is not supposed to be the sharpest thing out there.  It's supposed to be a kickass portrait lens where bokeh and rendering of skin color/texture are more important than ultimate sharpness when shot wide open.  The design criteria of the X100 lens shot wide open at f/2 was similar; so it was no surprise to me that the EF 23mm prime was sharper than the X100s wide open.

From the description, the 56/1.2 has a bigger front element when compared to the 60mm.  There appears to be more lens mass to move around in it plus you got really tight focusing precision requirements with it vs. other lens.  I can live with it being slower than the faster EF primes.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow