G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
kitchenbug
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling
In reply to dpr4bb, 8 months ago

From the manual, it's pretty clear that you cannot specify a minimum shutter speed for Auto-ISO in the P and A modes. That's the shutter speed at which point the camera increases the ISO instead of letting the shutter speed slow down further. Do you know what shutter speed the camera tries to maintain as the available light level drops? I realize that this can get a little complicated as there is a "Rate of Change" setting for Auto-ISO that affects this minimum shutter speed. Is it a function of the focal length?

The question demands an extended testing because multiple parameters come into play. Let me just say my few minutes of testing (in Av mode with ISO ceiling set at 12800) shows: With zoom set at its widest end, the "Slow" setting tries to maintain 1/15 sec shutter speed. The "Standard" and "Fast" settings seem to maintain 1/20 sec.

The program seems to show tendency to stick around ISO 3200 until other parameters are exhausted. So that gives us an idea of where Canon thinks the 'useable' ISO ceiling is.

I probably won't test the exposure programming extensively, as I don't like to depend on auto ISO setting, and proper testing gets very extensive.

kitchenbug's gear list:kitchenbug's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow