G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
kitchenbug
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling
In reply to requa, 8 months ago

First off, thank you for taking the time and effort to address so many questions here. As you can tell, folks in this hemisphere are craving information from hands-on users. You've been very helpful, and I hope this process has helped you to sort out your own thoughts and perceptions.

Usually, Japanese manufacturers release their products overseas before they do so in Japan. It's peculiar how Canon chose to release this particular camera over a month early in Japan. I'm hoping they will make firmware (and hardware?) adjustments before they release this elsewhere.

Does your reference to "the un-clicked Step Ring" above mean there is no tactile feedback when rotating the inner ring at all? No click or pause to let you know you've changed to the next step? That's a bit disappointing,to say the least. I wasn't too concerned about the limitations on the number of manual control interfaces, but it only makes sense to be able to tell when you've stepped on a step ring. Is this because different functions would offer a different number of steps spaced differently?

Sorry. My typo. I should have said "the un-clicked Continuous Ring". That's the the front-most (away from the body) ring on the lens barrel, and does not give any tactile feedback. You must compare your rotating movement against the display to get feedback.

The other ring closer to the body is called Step Ring, and is clicked, meaning it gives you tactile feedback.

In the present firmware, there are limitations in which function you can assign to either ring.

Both rings are "control by wire", such that they rotate without limitations in either direction. I understnad your concern for the different number of steps for different functions, but it does not apply.

kitchenbug's gear list:kitchenbug's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow