jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,394Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-32 vs 14-42 (ii) vs 14-45
In reply to Conor OBrien, 9 months ago

Conor OBrien wrote:

mimritty wrote:

I have the 14-42IIR, the 12-32mm and the 14-45mm. The 12-32 is nice and compact, but optically I don't find it any better than the 14-42. Not bad, not great. Between those two, the question would be your preference of a little wider or a little more reach.

My copy of the 14-45 gives me better pictures than either of the other two and is the one I'm going to hold on to until I can swing upgrading to the 12-40.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
mimritty

So, the 14-45mm has better IQ? Or at least your copy does?

Also, what camera do you use? The 12-32mm does not have a manual focus ring with the manual focusing done through the touch screen on the GM1. I have a G5, and I have no idea when, or even if, there will be a new firmware update to use the manual focusing feature for this lens.

I had the 14-45mm, and while sharp, it had an extremely cool color signature, which I did not find appealing at all. I used it for a short while, then sold it.

I've never tried the Panasonic 14-42mm II, but I did have the Oly 14-42mm II.  If it's the Oly you are talking about, it is an ok lens, and you can get nice results from it, but I found that I preferred the images from my 14mm prime...they had nicer contrast and I liked what they looked like better.

I now have the 12-32mm, and I like it a great deal. Its color rendition is far more neutral than that of the 14-45mm, and it has very good contrast.  It's also nice and sharp, and having the 12mm option is really nice for a walk around lens.

If you can live with this being strictly an AF lens, it's the one I would choose of all three.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow