How big is IQ between RX100 MII vs. iPhone 5S (or similar smartphone)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jkim7
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
How big is IQ between RX100 MII vs. iPhone 5S (or similar smartphone)
5 months ago

Hey guys,

I've posted a thread on traveling with an iPhone as the main camera, however, I've gotten numerous advice on getting a high end point and shoot, more specifically the RX 100 MII. First of all, I think an ILC like a mirror less or DSLR is out of the question since I won't be buying extra lens since I don't really have the money nor the interest in making photography a serious hobby outside of traveling and going out somewhere (not specifically for photography).

That leads me to this question: I know an RX100 MII will be much better than my iPhone 5S for low light situations and to zoom. However, will there be a significant noticeable difference in image quality in a bright day light shot between the two cameras? Will the RX100 MII's photos have more vibrancy in it's colors? Will it be sharper? Is the difference very noticeable to the untrained eye of a non photography professional?

Most likely, at least for awhile, I will be using the camera on auto mode. Therefore, will I be able to tell the difference between IQ between photos taken on the phone and the RX100 MII even if the shots I take with the RX100 are on auto mode?

One more question: I won't need the camera until July 12th when I leave for Africa. Should I wait and see if something better than the RX 100 MII comes out at similar price? (maybe like the RX 100 MIII?)

Thank you!!

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow