G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
kitchenbug
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling
In reply to dpr4bb, 6 months ago

Also, in the M mode, is there an auto flash capability, or are you limited to three flash power levels?

Even in M mode, flash is TTL auto adjusted. Where did you get the impression it has 'three flash power levels'?

I got this impression, hoping that I was wrong, from page 104 of the English manual from the Canon Thailand web site. This was under the "Adjusting the Flash Ouput" heading of the section of the manual that describes the M mode. They mention that you can chose from three power levels in the M mode.

Oh, I get it. I checked the Japanese manual as well, and it's equally confusing. I think the doc writer was confused about the two different meaning of "M". Here's how it works.

In Tv, Av, or M exposure modes, you have a choice of "Flash Mode" between "Manual" and "Auto". In P exposure mode, the choice is hidden, and it's implicitly set to "Auto".

With "Flash Mode" set to "Auto", you can dial in "Flash Exp. Comp" within +-2EV range in 1/3EV increments.

With "Flash Mode" set to "Manual", you can select from "Minimum", "Medium", and "Maximum". I find this tri-level adjustment a bit limiting, but heck, I'll be using an external flash in M mode anyway if I wanted to use manual control.

BTW, with the internal flash, you can sort of do bouncing its output off the ceiling. You have to push the flash unit delicately towards the back. If you tilt it to within the last 15 degrees or so, the built in sensor thinks the flash is stored in camera, and does not work.

kitchenbug's gear list:kitchenbug's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow