Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Deegee
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
D4S results
7 months ago

If anyone is interested in the new D4S, I used a matching pair (along with a D800E) to shoot (from the press launch) a Cambridge University Boat Club fixture last weekend (leading-up to the Universities Boat Race on 6 April). I have just upgraded my two D4 bodies to the D4S simply because I was never confident about the D4 autofocus. This can be very subjective but I always felt that my old D3S bodies were better in this respect.

It is early days yet and a Boat Race is probably not the best measure of fine AF performance but to date I have experienced no reservations at all - everything is good. Again, early days but the ISO performance does seem definitely better (which despite the published specifications I had no real expectations of). I purposely challenged it by shooting fast shutter speeds at very small apertures in an attempt to get all the crew in a 60 foot boat in focus. This raised the ISO to "nervous" levels but the noise was definitely lower than I would have expected from my old D4 bodies.

Another caveat is that is was a gloriously sunny day with lots of light. The Boat Race itself will be grey and rainy (it always is!) so I guess this will be the real test.

D4S images from last Sunday can be seen at http://www.duncangrove.com/cubc-v-molesey-bc .  If the file name starts _D8E it was shot with my D800E, not one of my D4S's).  Had the light not been as good, I would have used the D800E less.

Shooting Wimbledon tennis will be my real test of any D4S autofocus improvement.  My gut instinct is that whilst I complained about the D4 AF, I shall be happier with the D4S. I objectively tested the AF of my old D4 bodies and found them lacking.  This took a lot of time.  From subjective observations to date, I hope not to feel the need to test the AF of my D4S's.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Deegee FRPS
www.duncangrove.com
www.duncangroveblog.com
Q:- What's the difference between artists and photographers?
A:- Two artists can have a conversation without discussing their paintbrushes!

Deegee's gear list:Deegee's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D4s Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow