Anybody ever use a camera stabilizer ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,117Gear list
Like?
Re: Anybody ever use a camera stabilizer ?
In reply to Fish Chris, 9 months ago

I'm not sure what kind of camera stabilizer you are referring to. Can you post a link to something like what you are trying to describe?

I can tell you from experience that while you can do it for a short time, it's difficult to hand hold a camera and long lens for very long without fatigue. And sooner or later your image quality and/or composition will suffer a little from camera shake.

I shot breaching whales from a 35 foot boat in Alaska a few months ago and was hand-holding my 1DX with 500L f4 IS lens attached. That lens and camera combination weighs around 12.5 lbs.

Some of the time I was sitting and resting the rig on my left knee, but some of the time I was standing. I did this for nearly an hour, shooting constantly because the whales were breaching over and over. After a while my arms were shaking from holding that rig out in front of me and trying to keep it steady. In that situation, there is no room for a tripod and a monopod is not even practical because you are constantly pointing the lens in a different direction.

I'm not sure if there is anything available that would have made this type of shooting any easier.

If you care to, you can see more of the whale images on my photo blog here:

http://timrucciphotography.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow