Do I need to go dual system?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,746Gear list
Like?
I went dual platform before the D800
In reply to KatManDEW, 5 months ago

I see no compelling reason for you to do so judging by your statements below especially if you are willing to wait until the fall.

Here's part of my thought process for using both systems but it evolved over 6 years as my needs changed. I know the boobirds will try to discredit some of this but I do not have time at this moment to write up the complete rationales and chrono order.

1.) I carry two cameras at a time nearly always. I try to avoid lens changes especially in the windy dusty places I go.

2.) I got tired of waiting on Canon to get their UWA shat together.

2a.) I got tired of waiting on Canon to answer the D800 (bear in mind that if the rumors are true, the new hi-rez will not be a D800 answer [aka affordable hi rez] if it is released as a 1 series body). You may be looking back at the D800 again soon.

3.) I wanted the 14-24G & 24-70G (pre-24-70II) but did not want to use an adapter and lose function. And I wanted to use my 5 Zeiss lenses on their native Nikon mount and be done with iffy adapters altogether.

4.) I bought a used D3x so that I could use the 14-24G and 24-70G in lieu of the 16-35 II and 24-105.

Obviously, Canon is going to release a hi rez sensor on some body type most likely this year so, to me, that solves one of your problems, at least as stated.

For me, the compelling reasons at this stage in the game go beyond a sensor to sensor p!ssing contest. Does Nikon have some lenses or other equipment with IQs or capability that beat Canon's equivalents? I think they do. How about features? I have run into amenities in the Nikon cams I wish that Canon had an equivalent for. I think Nikon users are happier with their flash than Canon folk are. Nikon cams seem to have a button for nearly everything. OTOH, Nikon cams have a button for nearly everything - making it impossible sometimes to combine the use of certain features that can be done on a Canon cam. Canon has the upper hand in some things too. For example, if you are a Live View user, prepare yourself for a rude awakening on a D800. On a D3x, LV is really terrible.

And... Nikon does not have a 5D3 equivalent IMO.

KatManDEW wrote:

Got my 5D3 two years ago this week. Also have a 7D and nine "L" lenses. I've drooled over the D800 since the day I got my 5D3. And like many, I'm itching for a 7D replacement, with truly improved image quality, and improved AF (I'm not interested in dual pixel drivel). My 7D is just not reliable with my 200-400, and it's hard to argue against that D800 sensor (for some uses).
I know no one knows, but I'm interested if anyone has any convincing thoughts about whether Canon will introduce anything compelling this year, like before fall... If I had a crystal ball and knew Canon was just going to do nothing, I would order a D800 and lens right now. I've looked hard at the a7R and I don't think it's for me.
I know, many fanboys are going to whine. Go ahead. It's my money.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
P.S.New
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow