Developing α7 RAW images

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,485Gear list
Like?
Re: On DxO PRIME
In reply to Terry L, 9 months ago

Terry L wrote:

Sorry...I should have said that it was given the PRIME Noise Reduction treatment in DxO.

And I don't normally have the camera set to ISO25600 -- I was testing to see what DxO Optics Pro 9 could do.

DxO PRIME comes at a premium cost, but it does an outstanding job and can beat the OOC JPEG.

Runtime can be upwards of 5min per image, so use it sparingly ...

It does a better job than LR5.3 - this typically does not keep up with the JPG.

Other than DxO and LR5, most of the available RAW conversion tools do not have as rich a set, or none at all, as these two tools have to apply lens profiles. With LR5 you can add your own (clumsily), with DxO you cannot, but you can save your adjustment settings.

Adjusting color corrections, in batch mode, is also slightly different between DxO and LR. DxO is easier in batch mode, LR is more flexibly, especially when developing from RAW.

I tend to use DxO for RAW conversions (with or without PRIME) and then finish in LR if needed.

I tend to use LR for JPG conversions (add sharpening, clarity, pull shadows), for convenience.

Awaiting the firmware update for the A7 tomorrow, see how this changes the flows...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow