Best way to sell used XE-1 body in US?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,687Gear list
Like?
Re: Best way to sell used XE-1 body in US?
In reply to wyldberi, 6 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Sal18 wrote:

8 months ago I paid full price for a new E1, so all this is very not happy news. And, BTW, in response to the poster who felt Adorama's used department lowballed a price once they had the camera - I, too, would not deal with them again after a rather sharky experience there.

Sal

I had Adorama on the phone one time not too long ago talking about some gear I was interested in off-loading. We got to discussing hypotheticals, and though I'm sure they have a policy about not giving a quote over the phone, I did get him to give me a "ballpark" estimate of what they typically offer on used gear given a supposed quality rating.

Yes, they do try to buy gear for the lowest possible cost to them. But as a retail business, that's what they're supposed to do. They want to earn the largest possible profit.

Yes, they want to maximize profit, just as I want to minimize loss. They will tell you that they give you 70% of what they expect to get for it. I have looked at what they were selling gear for, in similar condition to what I wanted to sell. After sending it to them, I felt like there was a big difference somewhere. I never came away thinking I could come out on the good end of the deal. OTOH, as I said before, Ebay/Paypal fees really eat into sales as well. There doesn't seem to be a really decent way to sell used gear.

I did sell a Canon 5D MK III a while back to KEH. They had a representative at our one and only photo dealership for a day. It was late in the day, and it looked like he hadn't seen anything but some really old, well worn, film gear all day long. He lit up at seeing my 5D3, 24-105L and 17-40L. I felt like he offered a pretty fair price. I had already checked their website, and knew they didn't have a used 5D3 at all. I felt like that gave me an edge. I sold all three pieces. I should probably give them a look when I have more to sell.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow