RAW and JPG files

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,254Gear list
Like?
Embedded jpegs
In reply to brycesteiner, 8 months ago

brycesteiner wrote:

I didn't know that. I thought the camera just read the raw file directly.

thanks

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

The embedded jpeg seems to be there twice, I think there's also a tiny 640x480 thumbnail (for the 30/100 thumbnail display) plus the better jpeg of something near 3200 pixels* wide at a fairly high compression, it looks OK but a real jpeg can look better.

*that's for Olympus, I think Panasonic is only 1920 wide embedded jpeg. But I being lazy and guessing from my memory, we need an Anders or somesuch to correct me.

Some other brand cameras do read the RAW file but it speeds things up to have that embedded one displayed instead.

If shooting RAW only and really do need to see what happened then do a RAW edit in camera to produce the real jpeg for more careful examination, but the pain is that those camera-made jpegs use file numbers that follow on from the highest on the card so you start to lose track of things.

So I shoot RAW+ jpeg but use either Fine or Normal jpeg as being good enough for in-camera scrutiny. I keep both on the computer but use the jpegs created from the RAWs as the ones that go to the big archive and get backed up a few times.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow