Oly 17mm 1.8 and Pan 25mm 1.4 Image Character

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
madmaxmedia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?
Biggest Difference between the lenses-
In reply to Sener, 7 months ago

Without a doubt, the biggest and second biggest difference between the lenses are- wait for it-

1. Focal length

2. Aperture

There will be differences between any 2 lenses in rendering and image characteristics, but I wonder if often perceived differences aren't actually due to other variables such as lighting, shooting conditions, etc. Also, a 17mm f/1.8 lens and a 25mm f/1.4 lens are going to have very different 'looks' even if they both render very neutrally.

There's a big difference between shooting at 17mm and 25mm.

Another option if you don't needed fastest AF and want to split the difference down the middle (more or less), is the Panasonic 20mm. Or the Oly 25mm as you say.

Olympus went for metal build quality and the snap-focus ring on the 17mm f/1.8, so the bang-for-buck is not as good as some of the other lenses. But it's cheaper now than at launch, so seems like a decent deal if that's the focal length you want.

I love the Panasonic 25mm, but yeah it's a bit large for me too, at least for daily shooting. If I was planing a lens line-up for say a monthlong trip to Europe, I'd probably want it in the bag though (and have it on my camera by default most of the time.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow