Sharpest 24mm prime to go on a D610

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
mg428
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Some things to consider...
In reply to toomanycanons, 4 months ago

1) I own 24-85 VR and it is a wonderful lens in my opinion. I really suspect if it substantially performs worse than 24-70 2.8 given the comparisions/reviews of these lenses on various websites. Besides it is much lighter and smaller and most likely balance better with D610.

2) 24-85 VR has image stabilization, not available in 24-70 2.8, which may affect your sharpness in the situations where you may have to use low shutter speeds.

3) I would still prefer 24-85 VR over 24-120 f/4 VR because of the same reasons mentioned in (1). (As a side note, Nasim Mansurov on photograhylife claims that the latter is substantially better than the former but in his review where he compares the lenses he notes "to be updated soon" but he has not done so for so long and I suspect he will do it in the future.)

4) As far as I know wide angle lenses are limiited in terms of sharpness compared to standard and telephoto lenses. Hence, even if I would pay close attention to Sigma's potential 24mm Art series lens given its very sharp 35mm 1.4 lens, I would assume it won't be as sharp as its 35mm lens.

5) I'd read the reviews of Sigma 24-105 OS and Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC which might be better at 24mm compared to all lenses mentioned above. Not to mention the latter lens has image stabilization.

6) Some people expect Nikon AF-S 24-70 2.8G VRIII but who knows if it will be announced soon or ever be released.

7) Although I cannot comment on 24mm primes, lack of flare, aberrations and etc. impact sharpness a great deal (see Ming Thein's recent article in this regard), hence you may consider 24mm 1.4G in this regard.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow