G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,243Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting..
In reply to Helstor, 4 months ago

Helstor wrote:

When it comes to camera ergonomics, what can be considered good is very subjective.

Absolutely, which shows you what a nightmare it is for manufacturers trying to keep everyone happy.

I bought the G1X online without trying it first (could not find it locally and I have no problems with my G12 so I figured it would be OK). Unfortunately I thought it was very uncomfortable to hold. Like a thick brick with sharp corners. If I tried to move my hands/fingers to get a better grip I would usually end up pushing some button and change a setting.

I really wanted to like the G1X, and I tried but it took away all the fun of going out shooting. Even with a strap on I spent more time worrying about dropping it than I did looking for photo opportunities. I loved the IQ but in the end I sold it.

I've never really had a problem with it in terms of it's handling, I find it very simple and easy to hold and use and I really like the bigger grip on it. It's the "bar of soap" cameras that I'm not so keen on, they get uncomfortable to use very quickly, but each to their own. Smaller size always comes at a price and I find the G1X mk1 a very good compromise.

I am interested in the G1X2 but I will make sure to try it out and handle it before I decide whether or not to buy it.

Erik

PS.I will probably love the dual control rings around the lens because I used to shoot an Olympus OM2 film camera for many years

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow