Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447Gear list
Like?
Nikkor AI & W.Rokkor-X
In reply to newyorkcity, 7 months ago

Little late to the party here but the old Nikon & Minolta 24/2.8s are both decent.

The Minolta seems to have a tad more "pizazz" (personality, contrast, whatever you want to call it) and the center can be scary sharp. There is some field curvature (which can be used to advantage) and the corners stay slightly streaked, even when stopped down.

Minolta W.Rokkor-X 24mm 1:2.8 (probably f/8 here)

The Nikkor has tidier corners and the center while perhaps not quite as sharp is still very good - even on the old NEX-7 which was a very punishing test rig. The Nikkor has a certain flatness about it - just a little less contrast than the Rokkor.

On the [cropped] NEX-7 the SEL24 ran circles around both in terms of overall personality and usability. That lens of course doesn't pertain here, but I'll be very keen to try a new dedicated full-frame Zeiss prime in the 21-24mm range - whenever that finally happens. (I've got my fingers crossed for the first round of announcements this year, but I'm prepared to wait…)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow