Great Blue Herons - nests and baby chicks (55-210+DH1758)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,635Gear list
Like?
Great Blue Herons - nests and baby chicks (55-210+DH1758)
6 months ago

It's been a little while since I posted some birds with the NEX - had a chance to get out a few weekends ago right before I started my bath and closet renovation, and it's a good time of year for birding in South Florida - the big birds are nesting, and the chicks are popping out of their eggs or growing larger in the nests...herons, egrets, cormorants, anhingas, and storks are all in various nesting phases now.

For this series, I thought I'd start with the big, elegant great blue herons - their chicks have been hatched for 3-4 weeks and have started growing big enough that they're popping up out of the nests and squawking loudly for food...parents are stressed watching over them and constantly feeding them.

All shots NEX-5N, SEL 55-210mm lens, and Sony DH1758 1.7x teleextender.  Location was the Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Delray Beach, FL:

Momma heron standing over her two growing chicks on her nest

In between all their squawking and squirming, mom tries to get a little shut-eye!

Closeup of the proud parent, with a little breeze blowing the head plume

Closeup of one of the chicks popping up out of the nest - they really look much more like dinosaurs when you see them young like this!

One more closeup of momma heron

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always.

Hope you enjoyed a look at the great blue herons, nesting and raising their chicks!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow