Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom c150
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
OM-D: How much of an upgrade from LX5?
6 months ago

I'm considering picking up an OM-D E-M5 with the 12-50 kit lens to supplement (not replace) a Panasonic LX5. Is the OM-D enough of an upgrade to justify the additional cost and weight for recreational travel photography?

Most of my photos are going to be of landscapes with the intention of printing and framing a few to add a personal touch to the walls of my apartment. I am drawn to the OM-D for its bigger sensor, relatively compact size (DSLRs are too big for my purposes), and more growth friendly system.

Things I love about the LX5:

• Size - very easy to throw in a pocket on the road
  • Speed - great for candid shots of friends
  • Image quality in very good lighting

Things I want to improve:

• Low light performance - I just can't get the LX5 to take very sharp photos when the sun is going down
  • Contrast - this may very well be my failing as a point-and-shoot photographer, but I usually get very light or very dark photos and rarely capture a good balance

I'm traveling to Hawaii in a month and have a handful of summer trips planned, so now would be the time to get familiar with a new camera if I decide to upgrade.

To those of you with experience with both micro 4/3rds and higher quality compacts, is it worth the upgrade or should I just get better with the manual controls on the LX5?

Thanks.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow