Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,415
Like?
Wide Angle Distortion on Nikon 18-35 AF-S
4 months ago

This is what I'm referring to:  when I used to shoot at 10 or 12 with a Sigma 10-20 (DX lens) on interiors with my D5100, I would get elongated tables and lamps.  If you've shot these types of scenes you know what I'm talking about.  Even shooting at 18mm with that Sigma it isn't the same as shooting at 18mm with say an 18-55 VR.  The optics on both just seem to work differently.

That's why I don't shoot with a "wide angle" even indoors anymore (like with the Sigma 10-20, a lens I really like) and shoot at 17mm with a Tamron 17-50.  I don't get any elongated tables and lamps, everything pretty much looks like my eyes perceived it.  Much better IMHO.

Which brings us to the Nikon 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 AF-S.  I'm going to be getting a D610 in the near future and have my eye on the 18-35.  I can use it on my DX cameras in the meantime and with the FF D610 when I get it.  But, and this is a big but, does this lens show the type of "wide angle" distortion I'm referring to when shot at 18mm, either on a DX camera or a FF camera?

I would think yes.  However, I'll probably only go as wide as 22 or 24 on the D610.  Would that still elongate tables and lamps?

Nikon D5100 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow