RAW and JPG files

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
David 247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830Gear list
Like?
Re: Processed with Aperture...
In reply to brycesteiner, 6 months ago

Okay, this is a quick and dirty in Aperture, from the RAW

First off, this image is so underexposed that it really is trash. Not worth putting a lot of time into it.

Second, the "native" ISO on your EM5 sensor is 200. 100 is an artificial reduction.

Third, understand that Aperture works differently then Lightroom but both are capable if you take the time to learn them. There are online tutorials, some of which are free. Take them and learn how the software works. Don't call either one "bad" just because you don't understand how to use them.

RAW will take a reasonable image and give you more detail to work with. It is best utilized for properly exposed images to pull out more detail and expand dynamic range, as well as to eliminate damage that might be done by in-camera JPEG processing which can be heavy handed sometimes. Photographers goal should always be "correct exposure" no matter which you choose to use for final results.

I shoot RAW+JPEG. JPEG is used as a reference or for a quick post. For serious detail I use RAW. It takes more time but the results are worth it if you are serious about your photography. The purpose of RAW is detail retention, not correcting BAD photos, though it can do wonders with some bad images in an emergency.

My steps were random and not necessarily the best order. Need to get some sleep, so this was very quick and dirty.

1. Adjust black level for max brightness

2. Adjust Brightness to Max

3. Adjust exposure to Max

4. Shadows to Max

5. Contrast to .50

6. Adjust levels with level tool (might have to add to the tools if not showing) starting with the hightlights to bring up more, then adjust shadows to get more contrast and midpoint to finetune. (use the add adjustment button towards the top of the tools pallette).

7. Adjust color balance to taste. (I didn't waste a lot of time on that).

8. Sharpened just a little.

Did no noise reduction, but with aperture that is best done using a third party noise reduction plug-in of which there are several.

Try to be more realistic. 2, 3, maybe 4 stops, but unless it is purely documentary recovery or forensic, 5+ is really asking too much. With more time, more can be done, but not worth wasting time on something that far off if it doesn't serve a real purpose.

-- hide signature --

- David
'The most important feature of any camera is 'Will you have it with you when you need it."
http://lightweaver.zenfolio.com
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

David 247's gear list:David 247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow