The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,096Gear list
Like?
Re: Good hoods?
In reply to Barry Stewart, 6 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

Without a good hood, the front element is going to get all wet and potentially ruin the shot — even if the rain doesn't get inside.

Agreed, though in practice you have to balance usability of the hood (i.e. does it reverse for packing).  Having filters were the rain beads up and carrying drying cloths goes a long ways.

People scoff at the beer-stein-sized hood on the 50-200SWD… but there's never a rain drop that gets on THAT lens element.

IIRC, many of the people scoffing were like me and owned the mark 1 version, whose hood is long, but is slim enough that when reversed, fits in a normal camera bag that is full.  I've never had a problem with water, except when the lens is pointed up (and the 50-200mm SWD would fail in the same way).

When I borrowed the 50-200 SWD while my 50-200 was being fixed after being dropped, I could not fit the hood in my normal gear bag, and wound up clipping the hood to the shoulder bag strap to carry it.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow