Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Grafix Inredning
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to stevo23, 6 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

FYI - the Biogons have been reported to be problematic - you want Distagons as in the ZF versions. I think there is also a Distagon 18mm ZM.

Yes i know, but some seems to work if you are prepared to stop down. I shoot interiors with a tripod and I'm usually at F8 or higher anyway.

Ron Scheffler has done som excellent tests with rangefinder lenses, the ZM 18mm, 21mm, 25 mm and many more. The Distagon 18mm needs to be stopped down too and is more expensive than the 25mm.

Ron Scheffler: Sony a7R vs. Leica M9 infinity test with 20+ Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander rangefinder lenses.

Again, just a friendly warning, Biogons are showing the smearing and color issues that are problematic with some rangefinder lenses. I'm seeing better results from the Distagon 25, 21 and 18. The Distagon 18 ZM has some color shift that can be corrected.

From Ron's pictures, the ZM 25mm doesn't look very much worse than the ZM 18mm. Both smear in the corners wide open, acceptable (to me) at 5.6 and look quite good at F8 and above.

The distagon 25mm 2.8 is the same price as the Biogon 25mm, but the distagon is not the best Zeiss lens out there, it's needs to be stopped down to F8, even F11 to get sharp in the corners:

Distagon 25mm/2.8 @ F4.

The 25mm/F2.0 is a much better lens, but expensive and quite large on the A7

The Biogon seems like a small and "good enough" make shift lens until the SZ 16-35 (-ish) ultra wide zoom arrives, here is a few images from Transcontinenta on Flickr  (A7, pp with Lightroom) and Ron Scheffler  (A7r) taken with the Biogon 25mm.

Transcontinenta on Flickr, Biogon 25mm on Sony A7

Ron Scheffler - Biogon 25mm on Sony A7R

Grafix Inredning's gear list:Grafix Inredning's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow