Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bgfreeman
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Conflicted, a little.
9 months ago

I'm looking to upgrade my photo kit very soon. I still have an ageing Canon 20D and, getting back into shooting after a few years off, am seeing the limitations of the 8mpix cameras (my PHONE has a higher pix count! though not better lens)

I'm posting this q here because I'm leaning more towards the A7r.

My choice has come down to two cameras.

The Sony A7r + FE 24-105 f4 OSS + rjcameras EF adapter

The Canon 5d Mk III with 24-105 f4L IS + eyefi card

I'm looking to keep using my existing Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and 100 f2.8 macro lenses.

My budget is around the 3k mark and the A7r package comes out just under, the 5d just over.

I could grab the Sony 35mm lens instead of the 24-105 which save a couple of hundred, but I'm really looking for something in the 24mm range.

I've read many user reviews of both cameras, and have noted the focus speed issues with the A7r. I don't tend to do a lot of action photos so not sure that's going to be an issue. I could also grab an A-mount adapter for some of those lenses also, but again, focus speed issues.

However, I'm a lot more familiar with the canon ecosystem and controls. Plus I won't need any adapters for the 5D. There's a huge range of canon and 3rd party lenses of varying quality for it too.

I keep leaning one way or the other. Help?

Bgfreeman's gear list:Bgfreeman's gear list
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow