Do I need to go dual system?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,693Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I need to go dual system?
In reply to cpkuntz, 6 months ago

cpkuntz wrote:

As far as Canon goes, I don't see their sensors catching up with the Sony/Nikon partnership as far as read noise, dynamic range, and perhaps resolution in the forseeable future. Sure, they may release a $5000-$6000 1DXs with 40-50 megapixels, but it will have the same problems with read noise and dynamic range as the rest of the Canon sensors until they somehow find their own answer to column ADCs. Since that particular approach is patent-protected, it will take quite an engineering leap for Canon to match Sony's quality, a leap I don't see happening considering that Canon has fewer R&D resources than Sony in this regard. Sony, after all, is a world leader in semiconductor research.

I am not sure that 'that particular approach' is patent protected. Take Toshiba for example. Nikon has used Toshiba sensor in their D5100 (and probably D5200). It's DR is 13.9 according to DXO and that's one of the highest for a crop sensor camera. Panasonic makes excellent sensors for the size of the sensors with DR approaching 13. A little known sensor manufacturer in Europe made sensor for Leica's latest M camera with about 2 stop better DR than what Canon is offering now. So, making sensors with high DR is not Sony's monopoly anymore, neither it will need some groundbreaking technology on Canon's part. According to some unsubstantiated reports Canon has been sitting on on chip column parallel ADC technology since 2001.

Canon just needs to make a decision to make them and put them in their cameras. Decision will depend on money (new fab), not some technology to bypass Exmor patent.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
P.S.New
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow