Travelling with just an iPhone camera?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
LightBug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Travelling with just an iPhone camera?
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

So I'm in a dilemma.

I'm trying to make up my decision on getting a good mirror less (Sony A6000 / Fujifilm X-E2) or just travel with my iPhone. I just think iPhones these days (iPhone 5S and soon iPhone 6) takes good enough pictures to look on a computer screen and I feel it's hard to justify spending $1000 for a good mirror less when there really isn't THAT much of a picture quality difference between an iPhone and one of them. If I were to get a cheap mirror less, for example a Nex 5, I just feel like there's no point in having one as an iPhone 5S, in my opinion, can produce similar caliber images as one and definitely matches most point and shoots.

I just want some support haha. Do any of you travel with just an iPhone camera? I just feel like people bring these mirror less and DSLRs to travel and I'm wasting my trips abroad (going to Africa and India this year) by taking "measly" iPhone pictures.

I assume as photographers, many of you are also travelers.

Help me out here!!

You don't need to spend $1000 to get good image quality. You could get a Pentax MX-1 on close out deal right now for $200. If you don't mind fixed 28mm focal length, Ricoh GR, recommended by many street photographers, is $650 and is pocketable.

There are many iphones and cameras in my home, iPhone is not good for night shots or in a dimly lit restaurant, for day time it's fine if that's all you capture. You will not regret having a more capable camera than an iphone when you go to more exotic locations.  Sometimes you may capture something you want to print and hang on your walls.

Joey

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow