Pre-wedding questions

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Pre-wedding questions
In reply to Flyinmotion, 7 months ago

Above and beyond equipment you need experience photographing people on location and specifically you need to learn how to mix natural light with off camera lighting. I'd highly recommend taking a few classes first. A good resource is photography clubs, local camera shops and, of course the web ("meetup" has groups devoted to photography and I have found classes in my area on that very subject.)

I'd buy a few good books on lighting too, and watch youtube videos (there are some good ones.)

You're also going to want to learn about posing people and about hand positions etc. Look for resources on portrait taking and on setting up wedding shots.  Posing two people is exponentially more complicated than posing one.

Those things will give you direction on what you need for equipment...at very least a wireless trigger, powerful speedlite, light stand and umbrella. A reflector/softbox will allow you to control the light better indoors and give you a little more range outdoors. You'll want an orange gel to fit over the flash to match the warm glow of sunlight. The best aftermarket manual speedlite on the market now the Godox V850. It is powerful, fast and comes with a lithium ion battery pack. It works with the Godox wireless system so you can control the flash power from your camera. It is also sold as a Neewer TT850. Be sure to get the flash, battery and remote. You can by with one flash but you'll have more flexibility with two. Reflectors are nice, but tougher to use without an assistant.

Web blanket time. I have taken a few classes and am way ahead of you regarding lighting and portrait photography based on your questions. I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing someone was counting on me to capture an important moment like this. I would tell them I'd be glad to do it but suggest they also look into getting a professional. You do have the advantage of these not being an "event" so you can get in an extra session or two should something go wrong.

Good luck.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow