Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
Re: Do I need to go dual system?
In reply to KatManDEW, 4 months ago

KatManDEW wrote:

johnierebel wrote:

My thinking is a dual system route is the only real way to get resolution for landscaping & still get a couple of lenses from canon. I will just use my old rebel for general photography. D800E + rebel. on the up-side rumors say announcement April sometime on the 7D2. good luck

I hope the rumors are right about the 7DII, but I'm not waiting past May, and through another summer. If Canon doesn't dangle something in front of my nose I will spend my money elsewhere. I'm sure it won't hurt Canon's financial situation, and they'll do just fine without my peanuts

I just revisited some D800 RAW files and I find it hard to not like 'em. I have a 24 inch wide printer and the D800 yields 204 DPI at 24x36. The 5D3 is 160 DPI. I've done plenty of 16x24 prints at around those two resolutions and I can see the difference.

And on my wide gamut monitor the extra DR appears to offer more than just extreme shadow lifting capability. In some quick experimentation there seems to be more to recover from the highlights too, and the overall image tonality seems to hold up better to processing. There doesn't seem to be anything to not like about the extra DR

I'll have to skip over to the Nikon forums to see if there is any speculation on a D900, but for now a D800 and 14-24mm just went on my short list.

You are comparing apples to oranges because of the megapixels between both bodies. I noticed a huge difference in crop capability when I went from a 50D to a 7D.

Are you a pro? Are you having customer complaints because they feel the DR is just not good enough or the resolution is not to their liking?

Do friends and family viewing a 800 or 5D print separately know the difference if you are not pointing it out? Is a hobby thing? If you like to look at things that closely and you have the money then by all means get what you want. You won't be the first. I would not go with two systems as it would be too much of a pain for me to work with two systems. If I was a working pro I'd pick the best system for my needs depending on the type of photography I was doing.

If I had unlimited money I'd probably have several glass cased displays. One for Canon, one for Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad and so on

I also have 5D3 and a close friend has the D800. He chirps about the file size once in a while. It is a nice camera and it is tough to beat that lens unless you get into Canons TSE II lenses. The 17mm rocks. I'm very happy with my Canon gear. I prefer Canon's ergonomics as well.

Good luck on your choices.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
P.S.New
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow