75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
Re: 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
In reply to SLOtographer, 6 months ago

A tough choice since both are great lenses in the MFT world.  My first two lenses when I purchased my GH3 were  the two zooms (12-35mm and 35-100mm) and while I really enjoyed and liked both lenses, the 35-100mm F2.8 was on my camera the vast majority of the time.  I had a special connection with it and used it far more often than I anticipated.  More recently I have been adding quite a few really good prime lenses too, and while the 75mm 1.8 was and is on my ultimate radar, others were just more a priority.  I did recently purchase a really nice used Voigtlander 75mm F2.5 manual focus lens and I know that will pacify my desires for the Olympus for a period while I save for the day I can own the faster lens.  The Voigtlander 75mm is an interesting lens so you might consider that option too.  Whichever 75mm lens you get  IMO you definitely need either a tripod, monopod, or in-body stabilization to achieve really good results.  I use mine on a E-M1 and it works out quite nicely.  Voigtlander also makes a 75mm 1.8 lens too, but I think it is fair to say the Olympus 75mm is an incredible prime lens we all ultimately lust to own and use.  Someday I sure hope I can own and use one too.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow