Do I need to go dual system?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 731
Like?
Re: Do I need to go dual system?
In reply to KatManDEW, 8 months ago

I've thought many times about doing this myself. I've concluded that it may be best to wait for Nikon to release its update to the D800/E, which may come soon. Nikon seems to have a somewhat shorter product cycle now than Canon, so a D900 or D800S may come fairly soon.
As far as Canon goes, I don't see their sensors catching up with the Sony/Nikon partnership as far as read noise, dynamic range, and perhaps resolution in the forseeable future. Sure, they may release a $5000-$6000 1DXs with 40-50 megapixels, but it will have the same problems with read noise and dynamic range as the rest of the Canon sensors until they somehow find their own answer to column ADCs. Since that particular approach is patent-protected, it will take quite an engineering leap for Canon to match Sony's quality, a leap I don't see happening considering that Canon has fewer R&D resources than Sony in this regard. Sony, after all, is a world leader in semiconductor research.

I've also thought about the A7R.  I don't think it's worth it.  First, I am not a fan of the form-factor.  I know everyone seems to drool over smaller bodies nowadays, but I actually prefer the ergonomics and balance of DSLRs.  The size advantage of the A7R is also diminished somewhat by certain focal length lenses.  In addition, it seems that even with a good Metabones adapter, there will be some IQ loss putting a Canon lens onto the A7R.  Hence my interest in a D800 or its successor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
P.S.New
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow