75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,519Gear list
Like?
Re: 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
In reply to Eric Nepean, 6 months ago

Eric Nepean wrote:

My decision was to buy the 35-100 /f2.8 because I would then benefit from image stabilization in the lens and CA correction with my Panny G5/GX1 - I would have had neither of those benefits with the Oly 75/f1.8 I hear the 75 f/1.8 is an incredibly sharp lens but I think much more attractive to those with Oly cameras having good IBIS.

Stabilization is of course a valid concern if you are using a Pany body, especially a Pany body other than the GX7. But I'd say CA correction is not. The 75/1.8 has virtually no lateral CA. Like just about every lens, it has some longitudinal CA in OOF areas, but this kind of CA is not auto-corrected by any MFT camera body.

Sigh - so many lenses - so little money

For low light photography I chose to wait for the Metabones Speedbooster FD to M43, and paired that with my old FD 50 f/1.4 to make a 35mm f/1.0 manual lens. Better choice for low light IMO. Just received the Speedbooster a few days ago, with the FD 50 it is a very nice combo on the G5 or the GX1.

( combo of speedbooster and FD135 f/2.5 does not work out so well - its very heavy and hard to handhold)

-- hide signature --

Eric

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow