Silly question about aspect ratio - do you shoot 4:3 or 3:2?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,248Gear list
Like?
Silly answer, I shoot 16:9
In reply to jennajenna, 8 months ago

jennajenna wrote:

I have no idea why my gh3 was set on 3:2 (I normally shoot with the 7-14mm lens); but I was adjusting the settings and noticed that 4:3 files were 16mb and 3:2 were 14mb.

Is there any loss to shooting 4:3 over 3:2; it seems like a no brainer to shoot 4:3 and then crop..but I recall reading that shooting 3:2 actually gives you a "longer" horizontal image vs a 4:3...so you actually do miss some of the subject when shooting in 4:3...true?

[image badly misleading in our context... deleted it]

Check out the pixel dimensions of your results at variously 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 and see how on some Panasonic cameras the image gets wider as the tops and bottoms get cropped. My LX3 does that and probably your GH3?

Olympus and most other Panasonic just progressively crop the top and bottom to get the different aspect ratios and the width stays the same.

As the image is cropped there is a "loss" of megapixels but if the subject is the same size in the frame then there's no loss of resolution. Same "pixels per duck" so to speak.

In Olympus's case no matter what aspect ratio you shoot (or use 2x digital tele converter) then you always get the full 4:3 image in RAW. I take advantage of that on my E-PL5 by shooting 16:9 to get the biggest possible image on my LCD and then later use the 4:3 RAW to extract whatever I want from the image.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow