Developing α7 RAW images

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,906Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

Fritz85 wrote:

I'm a new owner of a Sony Alpha α7 camera and recently captured some amazing images on a recent holiday to La Palma, Spain with an FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS lens. Unfortunately, the IQ of the RAW images in Lightroom are sub-par when compared to the output of the same images in Sony's own Image Data Converter.

Colors are a little more vivid, details are sharper.

I hope JPEG compression has little effect on my illustration.

My main question is: Instead of dealing with Image Data Converter, is there another program (such as DxO Optics Pro, for example) which will retain the amazing IQ that this camera is capable of?

I don't think you're testing one vs. the other here, your'e testing your own ability to use each one.

Do you actually think the Sony results are better? To me, the right one looks better. The one on the left looks over sharpened with too much structure and contrast while the one on the right is smoother, has less noise in the lower right quadrant and has more manageable detail.

For me - the best results have been achieved with Capture One from Phase One. I've not used it for the A7 yet, but I used the demo on my D600 and I could see better results from it than anything I've used since.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow