Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,267
Like?
Re: D800 totally cooking reds
In reply to primeshooter, 8 months ago

primeshooter wrote:

Randy Z wrote:

Every camera meter I've ever known has it's idiosyncracies that you have to deal with. They each have situations where they're good at guessing, and different circumstances where they're not so bright.

As much as camera ads say otherwise, meters are just a place to start. You can't expect your camera to know what you want to see, or what you're seeing, anymore than you can expect a car to drive itself because it has an automatic transmission.

-- hide signature --

Z-Man

Sounds like you are answering something i never asked. I don't expect it to do everything for me - I know how the meter works and why it's there! I'm asking for tips, workaround etc.

I think you've already mentioned the answer, UniWB. Next best should be fixed daylight WB and neutral picture control - for the RGB histogram. But you still have to watch it, because in high DR the meter goes roughly after luminosity (predominantly green) & midtones, not red highlights. ADL might help sometimes if you don't fiddle with EC. But it may not help enough, and it may harm if you do fiddle with EC.

Although I'm not sure why the cameras should not be able to protect the reds sometime in this millenium. On second thought they just might and very soon, but we will not like it for some reason.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow